Application in the cultivation of cucumber seedlings is a common method used in almost all regions of Russia to increase the yield of the people beloved vegetables. Naturally, for its successful application it is necessary to know the main components of this method, which are quite simple, but their observance will significantly increase efficiency. One of the most important points is the preliminary preparation of cucumber seeds.
Advantages of using seedlings
Considering the fact that a significant part of the regions of Russia is located in the zone of so-called risky farming, using seedlings for growing cucumbers is one of the possibilities to maximize crop yield. This method provides a number of valuable benefits when using:
- the possibility of obtaining the first fruits much earlier than when planting seeds directly into the ground;
- for the most northern areas to apply seedlings, in fact, the only opportunity to count on a guaranteed and stable crop of cucumbers;
- thanks to an earlier start of harvesting, it maximizes the total time for fruiting the crop.
Selection for planting seedlings
First of all, you should pay attention to the conditions in which the storage was carried out. Under the right conditions (the room temperature should not exceed +15 degrees, and the humidity level should be within 50-60%), ordinary cucumber seeds can successfully maintain all their properties for 8 or even 10 years.
But the most fruitful, as a rule, are the seeds of cucumber 3-4 years of age.
Also, when selecting seeds for planting collected independently, two more features must be taken into account:
- the seeds of ordinary varietal cucumbers are usually not used the next year after harvest, as this results in a decrease in yield;
- when collecting seeds of hybrids, the probability of obtaining cucumbers with similar characteristics is even less.
In the case of using purchased products made in serious and well-known seed farms, there are no problems with the selection, as it has already been produced.
Methods of preparation for sowing seedlings
There are several basic methods of preparing cucumber seeds for sowing for seedlings that are easy to do at home. In principle, they are not much different from preparing for planting in open ground. For some of the methods described below, there is no consensus among specialists who assess their usefulness or even uselessness in different ways. But it is possible to establish scientific truth for years, and it is necessary to sow cucumbers and harvest right now. The main thing is that if done correctly, the harm will not be exactly inflicted, so it’s not quite logical to refuse to use even if controversial training methods.
Details on how the preparation of cucumber seeds is carried out for sowing are described in the video:
Cucumber seeds, prepared for planting on seedlings, are wrapped in a fabric that absorbs well, which is soaked and left at room temperature or slightly higher (25-28 degrees) temperature. As a result of these actions, scientifically called the removal of seeds from a state of rest, they should turn on. It should be noted that the water should not be too much so as not to block the access of air.
It should be known that many hybrids are treated with sufficiently strong pesticides for the purpose of disinfection, so their soaking can lead to the fact that the nested sprout will experience the effect of these poisons. Therefore, when buying seeds of hybrids soaking is better not to produce.
One of the controversial methods of preparation for seedlings, consensus, about the benefits that experts and gardeners still do not have. It consists in placing the tissue with seeds in a refrigerator with a temperature of minus 2 to 0 degrees for two days. In this case, two conditions must be met:
- cucumber seeds should not be germinated, as the effects of such a temperature simply kill them;
- it is necessary that the fabric always remains wet.
Sparging is the process of treating seeds in water, in which the oxygen content is increased. Usually used for 6-8 year old seeds. To carry out the treatment, a conventional aquarium processor used to saturate the water with oxygen is placed in a can. Seeds placed in a moisture-permeable cloth or gauze are dipped there. Processing time is approximately 18 hours. The result of bubbling is an increase in the rate of germination of seeds. As noted earlier in the description of soaking, when using purchased hybrids, the method is not safe.
And here it is necessary to state that this method, like soaking, does not make sense to apply for seeds of hybrids produced by serious seed farms, since this type of seed preparation has already been completed.
Disinfection can be done in two possible ways:
- chemical. The most commonly used treatment is 1% solution of potassium permanganate (1 g per 100 ml of water) for 15–20 minutes. Be sure to observe the recommended concentration of the solution, since its excess will have a very negative effect on the seed. You can also use special drugs, such as "Maxim" with strict adherence to instructions for their use and the dosages specified in them;
- thermal. Thermal methods in the home are not used, but you can use its modern version - treatment with ultraviolet rays. Quite compact and affordable enough devices for such processing are on sale. The exposure time is from 1 to 5 minutes. After processing, the seeds should be placed in a packet of photo paper to prevent premature (before planting) contact with light.
Soaking in nutrient solutions
This type of seed preparation method consists in placing it in any nutrient medium. Numerous mineral or organic fertilizers and other similar substances can act as such medium. One of the most popular compounds is the wood resin solution, which contains a large amount of useful microelement seeds. The nutrient solution is prepared by dissolving 2 tablespoons in 1 liter of plain water and then infusing for 2 days. In the resulting solution for 3 hours placed the seeds. Then they must be removed and dried.
It should be borne in mind that the seeds are processed in the resting stage, therefore the processes of absorption and assimilation of any substances coming from outside are slowed down. Therefore, too fantastic effect from such methods should not be expected.
The use of seedlings as a method of making such a heat-loving culture as cucumber more accessible in many regions of Russia cannot be underestimated. And the implementation of measures for the preparation of seeds for sowing for seedlings will further increase the efficiency of growing cucumbers, as well as the yield and fruiting period of the beloved vegetable.