Healthy seedlings of petunias have a thickened main stem and large leaves. However, in some cases, at different stages of the growing season, the stems are significantly stretched, becoming fragile, brittle. Such thin seedlings of petunias are incapable of subsequently forming large flowers in large quantities, and in some cases may even die, and not having time to bloom. In order to remedy the situation and improve petunias, one should find out the cause of such an anomaly and take appropriate measures, which can be found in detail in the article below.
Often, petunias begin to stretch before the appearance of these leaves. In this case, it is worth considering how the existing indoor microclimate meets the required conditions for growing young plants:
- The room temperature should be within + 22- + 250C. In conditions with a temperature above the indicated values, the seedlings of petunias begin to over-stretch. More often, such a situation can be encountered if the plant is in greenhouse conditions.
- Humidity for growing petunias should be at the level of 60-65%. At low humidity plants should be sprayed.
- An insufficient amount of light very often leads to the fact that the petunia is drawn out. The optimal day length for young plants is 6-8 hours. In February, when the planting of seeds of petunia begins on seedlings, natural light is not enough, so the plants should be illuminated with fluorescent lamps.
- Seedlings of petunias should not be grown in containers with high edges. They can create a kind of barrier to the penetration of light rays. Plants in this case to obtain the necessary energy will stretch above the existing barrier to the light source.
- The containers with seedlings located on the windowsill should be regularly rotated on different sides so that the plants farthest from the light source do not experience shading and do not stretch out.
It is possible to combat the pulling out of petunias at an early stage of cultivation by creating the best microclimatic conditions and diving plants into separate containers. So, in order to prevent stretching, you can use the following recommendations:
- when seed leaves appear, the temperature for seedlings should be lowered to +200WITH;
- with the advent of the first real leaflet, the light period should be increased to 8 hours;
- at the same time, it is recommended to feed the plants with complex fertilizer, which contains calcium for rooting plants;
- after diving petunias in separate tanks, reduce the temperature to + 16- + 180C to slow down leaf growth and best root development;
- the light period for picking seedlings should be as long as possible.
It is worth noting that the seeds of petunias are quite small and when sowing them in the ground is difficult to observe the interval between seedlings, so the seedlings with the growth becomes quite dense. Shading each other, sprouts try to stretch up. At this moment it is very important to swoop down the plants in time, before their trunks become very thin and brittle. Information on how to care for young seedlings and dive in separate containers can be found in the video:Important! For decorative purposes, even more nip can be made to form a bush of the required shape.
If the seedlings planted in the open ground are excessively stretched, then instead of nipping, it can be formed as follows: the top of the main stem should be bent to the ground and densely sprinkled with soil. It will also lead to accelerated growth of lateral shoots. In this way, you can create beautiful decorative petunia bushes.
Before you start growing seedlings of petunias, you should familiarize yourself with all the above described favorable conditions for this. After all, only observing the moisture regime, maintaining the optimum temperature, timely and moderate watering, feeding petunias can grow good, strong seedlings. In case of violation of some parameters or non-compliance with the rules of cultivation, you can get elongated, weak seedlings, which will not please with abundant flowering and beautiful greenery.