Much is known about the picking process of vegetable seedlings, but this information concerns mainly tomatoes and peppers. But about whether it is necessary to swoop pickled cucumber seedlings, the opinions of gardeners are divided into two almost equal parts. The difficulty lies in the fact that cucumbers have very delicate roots, the separation of the root system from the ground is painful. Injured seedlings rarely survive, so extreme caution is needed when picking seedlings.
What is a pick and why is it needed?
A pick is the transfer of seedlings from one container to another, or immediately into the ground. During the picking, the seedlings are seized along with a part of the ground; this is a very important condition that helps the plant preserve the integrity of the root system and better adapt to the new place.
There are a number of indications for picking, but the main one is the hardening of plants.
After transfer to other conditions, the seedlings adapt, after which the weak seedlings die and the strong become even stronger. This approach provides cucumbers resistance to diseases and low temperatures, preparing them for "living" in the open field.
How cucumbers transfer pick
One of the features of cucumber is considered to be a poorly developed root system. The roots are so thin and frail that once again it is better not to touch them. It is for this reason that many gardeners refuse picking cucumber seedlings.
It is preferable to immediately plant the seeds in a disposable container: paper or peat cups. One or two seeds are placed in small containers and grown from 2 to 4 weeks.
After that, seedlings are transferred to a greenhouse, greenhouse or open ground, doing without a dive. At the same time the cups made of paper or plastic are cut, and the peat is instilled along with the seedlings.Important! It is necessary to transplant cucumbers by the method of transshipment, that is, together with a clod of earth, which is woven over the roots. This is the only way to increase the chances of seedlings for survival and quick adaptation.
When picking cucumbers is necessary
Of course, if the situation allows, it is better to prefer planting seedlings into the ground, bypassing the picking process. But there are a number of cases when the method of transplanting cups does not fit, these include:
- Cases where seeds were sown in too large or deep capacity. If the size of the pot exceeds the required, the cucumbers will be uncomfortable there, the plants may rot, turn yellow, "sit still," that is, not grow. In such a situation, in order to save at least part of the seedlings, it dives into more suitable containers, only for each plant a separate vessel is chosen.
- When seedlings lack sunlight. Sometimes, the weather brings gardeners, the days are cloudy and rainy, and the sun rarely shows because of the clouds. In low light conditions, any seedlings begin to stretch upward, as a result, it outgrows, becomes weakened and brittle. To avoid this, cucumbers can be swooped down. At the same time the plant is buried more deeply in the ground, thereby shortening it. This method will strengthen the root system, since additional roots will appear on the buried stem.
- When the gardener poorly calculated the time of planting the seedlings in the ground (or the weather did not normalize). For transplanting seedlings to open ground, the earth must warm up to 16 degrees, lower temperatures will kill cucumbers. In the ground planted 30-day seedlings, so that it does not overgrow, it can dive, thereby delaying the time of disembarkation.
- If the plant or soil is infected. Even one seedling with symptoms of a fungal or infectious disease becomes a pretext for transplanting seedlings from the entire box. The same rule applies to the soil - contaminated land can destroy cucumbers, it must be replaced with healthy.
- For a natural selection also pick pickles cucumbers. Thus, only the strongest plants survive in the new place, which guarantees a high yield and makes the gardener's labor more efficient.
In any of these cases, do not do without picking cucumbers. When there is no evidence for this, it is better to avoid transplanting the seedlings.
How to dive cucumbers
If the picking is inevitable after all, you need to carry it out as competently as possible. This is the only way to keep as many healthy and strong plants as possible.Important! Only very young seedlings are suitable for picking. Ideally, the seedlings should be 5-7 days (they are considered from the day when the first green has come out of the ground). If the days were not counted, you can look at the seedlings - they should have two cotyledon leaves.
So, the transplant process consists of several stages:
- First of all, it is necessary to prepare capacities for seedlings. They should be larger than those in which the seeds of cucumber were sown. It is better to prefer paper or peat cups, since re-transplanting off the ground can end badly for cucumbers.
- Prepare the primer. This may be a purchase substrate intended for vegetable seedlings or especially for cucumbers. And you can make such a mixture yourself. To do this, take the sod land, overfilled sawdust, organic fertilizer, peat. All this needs to be mixed and left for the winter, that is, it is necessary to prepare such soil in the fall. Instead, you can do with just one ash, which is added to the turf ground. The main thing is that the soil for cucumber seedlings should be loose, air and water-intensive, nutritious.
- The soil is scattered in containers, filling them by about two thirds, and left for several days for compaction.
- A few hours before the picking, the ground is poured with warm water and small (2-3 cm) indentations are made with a finger.
- Seedlings also watered abundantly with warm water for 2 hours before picking. The ground should be completely saturated with moisture, however, you need to make sure that the soil is not washed off the roots.
- It is necessary to take out seedlings of cucumbers with extreme caution. In no case can not be taken with his fingers on the fragile stem. It is allowed to hold a cucumber sapling for a clod of land between the roots or for cotyledon leaves. Seedlings dig in along with an earthball, do it better with a small spatula, a tablespoon or large tweezers.
- The root of a plant taken out of the ground should be examined. If it is badly damaged or there are signs of the disease, rot, cucumber seedlings should be thrown away. Too long roots are also not needed for cucumbers, in which case they are pinched - the longest central root is cut off with nails. The pinching will allow the lateral roots to develop, which will make the seedlings stronger and stronger.
- Seedlings are placed in a prepared recess and sprinkled with earth, while the soil is slightly compacted, pressing it around the stem. This will contribute to better adhesion of the roots to the ground.
- After planting all the seedlings, the seedlings are watered abundantly. This should be done only with warm water, preferably pre-settled.
- For the first time, it is better to cover the dive seedlings with a special white cloth. Covering material protects cucumbers from drafts so unloved by them and normalizes the temperature of the soil.
Attention! It is impossible to deepen cucumber seedlings in the ground too much, this will lead to rotting of the stem and slow down the growth of plants. The ideal depth is the immersion of the seedling in the soil to the knee - the line of inflection indicated on the stem.
Favorable conditions for pickled seedlings
Everyone knows that for a capricious cucumber two factors are very important: heat and humidity. In the first days after the picking, the seedlings should be kept warm, the temperature should not fall below 20 degrees. The level of air humidity should reach 80%. This can be achieved by installing a household humidifier or by placing a container with water next to the radiator.
A few days later, when the seedlings of cucumbers are well rooted, the temperature and humidity can be gradually reduced. The limit value for cucumbers is 16 degrees.Tip! Cucumbers need different temperatures during the day and at night. For strong, viable seedlings, you must follow this rule, reducing the temperature at night by a couple of degrees. To do this, the seedlings can be taken out on the balcony, lowered from the windowsill, removed away from the radiator.
Clear rules for growing cucumber seedlings do not exist. Experienced gardeners argue that it is not necessary to dive cucumbers, and if they do, then only with urgent need and in compliance with all the rules.