Quite often, even among well-qualified gardening enthusiasts, disputes arise whether the pickles are a specially bred variety of cucumbers or is it just a type of fruit of a certain age and size. It seems all the more surprising that there are no difficulties with the description and definition of the concept of "pickles".
In order to clearly understand what a given word means, it is necessary to reveal several semantic layers.Important! Initially, the name "pickles" referred absolutely to any vegetables marinated at the greens stage.
These could be eggplant ovaries or tiny garlic heads, miniature corn cobs, or small onions. It should be said that the word has English roots and is translated literally as "pickled."
A little later, the concept of "pickles" acquired a second meaning, which has become much more common. Namely - small, one might say tiny, cucumbers sized at one or two days of age. Strictly speaking, it is rather the ovary than the more or less formed fetus. Their size is about 3-5 centimeters. Of particular value and piquancy is that at this age pickles combine cucumber flavor with a touch that is unique to them.
Important! All of the above does not negate the fact that there are varieties of cucumbers, the most suitable for obtaining just pickles, and not fully formed fruits.
What are the advantages of cucumber varieties for growing pickles, which allowed them to get wide distribution in recent years? Of course, the original taste is important, but the reason is not only in it.
The fact is that the pickles of cucumbers (as well as gherkins), start to bear fruit 35-40 days after the shoots appeared. The fruiting process is rarely delayed by more than a month. During this time, cucumbers remain as healthy as possible, simply not having time to get and accumulate any diseases, and also almost completely remain free from the influence of chemicals. In addition, an additional advantage is that after the period of fruiting, the area occupied by them is released and it can be used for other purposes.
Features of growing varieties of pickles
It is rather difficult to find information about what special requirements must be observed for the proper cultivation of pickled cucumber varieties. For the most part, their care differs little from the agrotechnics of the gherkin or greenberry varieties of cucumbers. In part about this can be found in the video:
Nevertheless, some features still exist.
Some nuances of taking care of pickles:
- the soil should be somewhat more fertilized and loose than for ordinary varieties of cucumbers;
- the acidity level of the soil should be pH 6-7;
- during the entire 1-1.5 months of the formation of the harvest, regular, balanced and evenly distributed nutrition is necessary;
- Before planting pickled cucumber seedlings, it is necessary to introduce organic matter into the soil (manure - per 1 square meter up to 10 kg.) and fertilizers with mineral substances (per 1 square meter - 5 g of magnesium, 20 g of potassium, 25 g. phosphorus, 18 g. of nitrogen, all dosages according to the active substance);
- top dressing of pickled cucumber varieties usually begins 10-15 after planting. It is carried out according to traditional methods and in quantities that do not differ from the feeding of ordinary varieties;
- An important caveat - pickled cucumber varieties need more frequent watering, although it is not entirely clear how this is due. There are two possible reasons: the rapid ripening of fruits or weaker, compared to ordinary cucumbers, the root system;
- Mandatory requirement - picking fruits must be carried out daily. This is because, in the opposite case, adjacent bunches may dry out.
In addition to all of the above, one should note one more important feature of cucumber-pickles varieties. They are very susceptible to cold temperatures. Therefore, in most regions, it is recommended to grow seedlings for 3-4 weeks and plant them after the soil warms up to +14 - +16 degrees.
Most popular varieties
Son of the regiment
One of the most common early ripe bee pollinated hybrids, has a high yield, can be used for both open and for closed ground. The female type of flowering prevails, the degree of branching is medium.
Pickles of this variety, as a rule, have a light green color, a cylindrical shape. Fruits have light strips, large tubercles and spikes of white color. In a bundle, usually 2-3 cucumbers.
The cucumber variety has increased resistance to most diseases and pests, in particular, the cucumber mosaic virus, powdery mildew and the common scab of pumpkin crops.
No less often found mid-season hybrid, which is used for film shelters and open ground.
The original variety of pickled cucumbers with a bright and unique taste. In addition, the surface of the fruit has a distinct lettuce color, sometimes almost white, with characteristic black spikes. The mass of one cucumber reaches 50-65 grams.
One of the most productive early ripe hybrid varieties of pickles. It has a beautiful shape with small bumps of a classic dark green color. It is used both at cultivation in greenhouses, and on an open ground. It is highly resistant to the overwhelming majority of diseases encountered and characteristic of cucumber varieties: cucumber mosaic, brown spot, powdery mildew.