Cucumbers are loved not only for their taste, but also for ease of cultivation. These crops do not require complex care, special soil and some special conditions - they grow on ordinary beds or in greenhouses. Each gardener, if desired, can collect seeds from his own grown cucumbers and, thus, do not spend money on seed material. But this method is not suitable for those who love unusual, exotic varieties and waiting for abundant harvests.
To get the best cucumbers, you need to buy seeds of hybrids.
Origin of Hybrid Cucumber
Hybrids are descendants of several crossed varieties. For the selection of high-quality hybrid cucumber need years of scientific work, the annual cultivation of crossed crops. Only in the 5-10 generation, breeders get the best results - those hybrids, the seeds of which will go on sale.
Such hard work and determines the high cost of hybrid seeds. As a rule, their price is several times higher than the cost of high-quality cucumbers.
Many countries today are engaged in selection, in the domestic market you can find the seeds of German, Chinese, Japanese and, of course, Dutch origin.
"Dutch" appeared in Russia before the rest of the hybrids, and to this day remain the most popular among farmers and gardeners.
Such demand is justified, Dutch cucumbers have a number of exceptional qualities and characteristics.
Why are the "Dutch" - the best
The title of "best" Dutch hybrids received for a number of reasons, the most important of which are:
- Good adaptation to local climatic conditions. Unlike "Asians", seeds from Europe are more adapted to the temperature regime of the Russian regions. Cucumber seeds are hardened and can withstand temperature surges and drops.
- Plants are resistant to most diseases characteristic of cucumbers. Seeds are processed and fully prepared for planting in the ground.
- Most often, the ovary of Dutch cucumbers appear in clusters - 5-10 fruits grow from one node.
- High yield hybrids ensured their resistance to external factors.
- Taste "Dutch" in no way inferior to Russian varieties. Hybrid cucumbers can be used for salads and for preservation.
- Lack of bitterness. Bitter taste appears in cucumber due to violations of water-temperature conditions. And the Dutch hybrids are completely devoid of the enzyme that is responsible for bitterness, so these cucumbers are never bitter.
- Rapid ripening. Both early and late varieties of Dutch breeding are characterized by rapid ripening of fruits. On average, the period from the appearance of the first leaflets to the ripening of cucumbers is about a month.
The material from the purchased bag is completely ready for planting, the seeds do not need additional processing and hardening.
All of these characteristics indicate the high quality of Dutch seeds.
Cucumber growing conditions vary in the degree of openness of the soil. For greenhouse crops, pollination is an important factor; it is better to grow cucumbers that do not require pollination in greenhouses. These are parthenocarpic and self-pollinated species. Just such types of hybrids prevail among the Dutch seeds, so they can be grown both in greenhouses and in the open garden plot or in the field.
The following classification, which you need to pay attention to when buying seeds, is the ripening time. There are:
- early varieties;
- with late ripening.
The last division of varieties is performed depending on the purpose of cucumbers, there are:
- Salad cucumbers to be consumed fresh.
- Catching and conservation are well tolerated by contact with brine and heat treatment.
- Universal varieties can be eaten raw or canned.
Feature of Dutch salad cucumbers
The best cucumbers for salads are Dutch. It is easy to distinguish such varieties according to mature fruit - cucumbers grow long, have an elongated shape. The rind of a cucumber is thin and tender.
On its surface there are often rare hillocks and white spikes. The pulp of cucumber juicy, with a characteristic taste and smell. Inside the fruit, you can often see small seeds. Many hybrid cucumber hybrids show themselves well in the marinade, although they cannot be preserved for the winter.
One of the best hybrids, intended for fresh consumption, is "Agat". The plant is hardened from many diseases, it differs in its average maturity, adapted to the climate of central Russia.
Hybrid fruits have good product characteristics, cucumbers grow beautiful and have good keeping quality. The length of the green leaves is 45 cm, and the weight is 250 grams. The skin is tender, smooth, without thorns and bitterness. The taste of cucumbers juicy, fragrant.
It is necessary to plant seeds in April-May; this can be done both in open and in closed ground, because the hybrid belongs to parthenocarpic and does not require pollination.
The bushes are vigorous plants, reach a height of 2.5 meters, the ovary tuft. This provides a high hybrid yield - from four bushes you can get up to 11.5 kg of cucumbers.