Among the Russian gardeners, the shrubs of the Barberry family are becoming increasingly popular for their unpretentiousness to the surrounding conditions and the valuable decorative appearance. Barberry Thunberg Red Rocket is of particular interest even for novice gardeners for its unusual color and narrow strict shape.
Description of Barberry Red Rocket
Thorny deciduous shrub barberry of Tunberg variety Red Rocket can be seen in any Russian region. This contributes to its resistance to different climatic conditions. The description of the barberry Red Rocket allows you to find out what the adult shrub will be after 7-8 years after planting, and the image in the photo will not let it be confused with other varieties:
- adult bush is tall and reaches a height of about 2 m;
- the crown is not sprawling, upright, its width varies from 0.6 to 1 m;
- branches are long and thin, densely covered with foliage, grow vertically upwards, giving the whole plant a columnar shape;
- leaves are round, slightly elongated, in summer they have a rich dark red color, in autumn they are slightly brighter and look light red;
- flowers are small, bright yellow, collected in small brushes, bloom in May, with abundant blooms emit a sweetish aroma that attracts bees;
- berries ripen in late September, have an oblong shape and bright red color, because of the high content of alkaloids have a bitter taste, so they do not eat them;
- spines numerous, elastic, up to 1 cm;
- annual growth averages about 15 cm.
The shrub barberry Red Rocket grows well on a sunlit plot. In the partial shade it can also be planted, but with a strong lack of sun the leaves turn green and lose their decorative appeal.
Diseases and pests
Resistance against fungal diseases and pests in barberry Red Rocket is high. However, you should know that there are diseases that develop only on the bushes of the Barberry family. Also, in the case of weakened immunity, even these resistant varieties can get some types of fungal diseases.
Powdery mildew, leaf spotting, wilting and drying of shoots, bacteriosis are caused by various pathogenic fungi, against which prophylactic spraying with special copper and sulfur-containing fungicides is necessary before flowering. If the disease has just appeared, then it should be dealt with immediately. Otherwise, premature leaf fall will begin.
Insect, barberry aphid, causes drying and wrinkling of leaves. Against it, the bush can be sprayed with a solution of household soap or tobacco. Dangerous is the flower moth, which eats the fruit. To combat the caterpillar, the shrub is treated with chlorophos or an appropriate insecticide.
Barberry Thunberg Red Rocket is a successful breeder's work. With its many advantages, this variety is almost devoid of flaws and gratefully responds to taking care of it. You can grow this barberry to admire the unusual color of foliage in almost any Russian region.