Dzhuvel potatoes are grown on an industrial scale in the southern and southwestern regions with mild climatic conditions, mainly for the sale of early potatoes to the population in the northern regions. It is planted in late March or early April, and after 2 months (May-June) they are already digging up the harvest. Juvel variety can not be stored for a long time, but completely removes the deficit of this product in places where potatoes ripen no earlier than September. Vegetable growers of northern latitudes, who are interested in growing early potato varieties, also do not reject this variety, because even in a cool climate, it ripens a month earlier than ordinary varieties.
Juvel potato is a great product for a profitable business. In all its parameters, he deserves to occupy not the last place in the trade: he has an excellent presentation, excellent taste, a high percentage of safety during transportation over long distances. We want to tell our readers in more detail about the Juvelle potato, describe its excellent (or not so) quality, and the reviews of vegetable growers who have already planted this variety of potatoes will complement our story.
The main originator of the Juvel potato variety is the Bavaria-Saat GbR company, which unites several enterprises for the breeding of new potato varieties, but is not a legal patent owner. In 2003, the company founded the partnership "Bavaria-Saat Vertriebs GmbH", including the sale of seed material in Germany and abroad. Due to the successful activity of the partnership, the Juvelle potatoes became popular in Europe, as well as in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and many others.
Potato originator Juvel Renata Bettini (full name) declares the following characteristics of the variety:
- The bushes are of medium height, thick, weakly prone to lodging, the tubers are formed quickly, the flowers are dark purple in color;
- the tubers are oval or oblong-oval in shape, superficial, non-buried, the skin is smooth, without roughness, the color is light yellow, the flesh is lighter in tone;
- resistance to diseases - to scab, late blight and tuber rot, good to nematode - medium;
- yield - with early terms of harvest, you can get on average up to 400 centners of potatoes per hectare, with later terms (usual) - up to 750 centners / g;
- Juvel's potatoes are not crumbly, tasty, starch contains from 10 to 13%, root crops are even, mostly of the same size, the percentage of substandard tubers is insignificant.
Advantages and disadvantages
We have already noted the two main advantages of the Juwelle variety above - these are high yields and early ripening periods:
- from one bush of potatoes one can get from 10 to 20 root crops, in potato-growing enterprises at least 750 centners from one hectare are obtained when all the technological conditions of cultivation are fulfilled;
- early periods (vegetation 50-65 days) are beneficial because on fertile lands and in warm climates, you can grow two potato harvests per season in one plot;
- potato Juvel has a remarkable presentation: smooth tubers of the same size with small shallow eyes;
- during transportation, the tubers are well preserved, they are resistant to minor damages, the wounds dry quickly, without becoming infected with rotting fungus.
The downside for potato growers is that the Juvel variety is demanding on soil moisture, it needs additional watering during the dry season, only by meeting this requirement, it is possible to achieve significant yields, in dry soil the tubers stop growing, which leads to weight loss.
Before planting potatoes, germination of tubers starts in 20-30 days, this will ensure their earlier germination in the soil and increase the harvest, because during this procedure other activities are also carried out simultaneously:
- After storage, all seed potatoes are removed from dark and cold cellars to lighter and warmer rooms.
- Sort tubers, removing damaged and non-viable.
- Disinfect tubers in a solution of boric acid.
Dzhuvel potatoes are planted in the furrows, 50-70 cm apart, in the furrows, the tubers are placed every 25-30 cm. Planting depth is no more than 20 centimeters.
Potato varieties Juvel, except for additional irrigation (if necessary), does not require special conditions for growing, they are the same as for ordinary varieties of potatoes.
Hilling and feeding
The main fertilizers that are necessary for potatoes for normal growing season are applied in the fall or one month before planting: manure (preferably rotted), complex mineral fertilizers (phosphorus, potassium, magnesium) and a small amount of stimulants for the growth of tubers. After flowering, the potato bushes are sprayed once with liquid dressings, these are the same fertilizers, only less concentrated.
The soil between the rows and around the bushes must be loosened and spud at least 2 times per season: once, as soon as the first few stems and leaves appear, again - after the end of flowering.
Diseases and pests
Successfully combating the diseases and pests of the potato Juvel helps preventive treatment of tubers before planting in the ground. The stores offer the most diverse range of special chemicals used for this purpose.Attention! The Juvelle potato is very early, it manages to bloom and form rather large tubers even before the mass spread of diseases and pests of potatoes begins, so he is not afraid of such threats as the voracious larvae of the Colorado potato beetle or late blight that affects tubers and bushes in July. August
Harvesting potatoes Juvel starts at the end of June, if they are planted early (April), but when they are planted at a later time, the tubers ripen and gain the required weight and size a month or two later. Harvesting potatoes in June is beneficial to generate revenue from its sales in the interseasonal shortage of potatoes in the markets. A later harvest has advantages in obtaining a more complete harvest. In general, it turns out that harvesting is profitable both earlier and later.
One important fact should be taken into account. Dzhuvel potato tubers lose their qualities during long storage, the longer it is stored, the higher the loss rate becomes. The originator claims only about 94% of the 100 possible, and as we think, this figure is a bit overpriced, and the manufacturer will not underestimate the quality of its product.
Immediately before digging up the potato, the plants are mown, burned or removed by hand if it is dry enough and separates well from the roots. In the dacha and backyard small areas, potatoes are dug up with shovels or pitchforks, but craftsmen are able to make simple tools with improvised tools that facilitate this tedious work. An example of such a device shows a vegetable grower on the attached video.
If you need early potatoes, feel free to plant the Juvel variety. You will not be disappointed with the results, we all know that German goods and products are of excellent quality. Start with a small plot, the cost of high-quality potatoes is above average, but if you like it, you can always increase your planting material, putting aside some tubers for planting next season.