Each summer resident tries to use his plot to the maximum. Vegetables of different types and varieties are grown. However, not everyone wants to plant cabbage, for fear of the complexity of care. But it's not for nothing that breeders are constantly working. New varieties of cabbage have sustained immunity to disease, high yields.
Atria cabbage is a hybrid of the White cabbage variety. Atria is distinguished by good plasticity of leaves, yield and excellent preservation on the vine. The variety Atria refers to medium late, ripening three months after planting sprouts or 137-141 days after seed germination on open soil.
As a result of active growth, juicy-elastic heads of blue-greenish color (as in the photo) ripen. The mass of the head can reach 4-8 kg. Atria is characterized by good preservation on the ground under various weather conditions and adequately tolerates transportation.
With proper storage conditions, the vegetable retains its excellent taste for about six months.
Planting and care
Two methods are used to grow Atriya cabbage: sowing in the ground and planting seedlings. Given the timing of ripening of this variety, it is recommended in the southern regions to immediately sow the seeds at the dacha, and gardeners in the northern regions should prefer planting seedlings.
In order not to lose time and get good seedlings of Atriya cabbage variety, it is better to first verify the seed germination. First, the seed is quenched: hold for 10-15 minutes in hot water, and then immersed in cold water for a minute. At night, the seed material is soaked in a solution of nitroammofoski and washed in the morning. To ensure the quality of the planting material, it is wrapped in a wet cloth and placed in a warm place for five days. We can not allow the drying of the fabric, so the fabric is periodically moistened. On the fifth day, you can check the germination of seeds. Not germinated grains are simply thrown away.Important! Street soil must be sanitized.
For this purpose, a special compound or solution of potassium permanganate is used. Such a precautionary measure will be for germs protection from infections and diseases.
Growing seedlings is carried out in several stages.
- A fertile soil mix is prepared. To do this, mix the ground, peat, clean sand. In order to provide seedlings with nutrition, it is also recommended to add superphosphate and ash.
- Holes (one centimeter deep) are marked on the surface of the moistened soil at a centimeter distance from each other.
- In the pits lay germinated grains, covered with earth and lightly pressed. The box can be covered with foil and stored in a warm room (with a temperature not lower than + 18˚ С).
- Seeds usually germinate after 4-5 days. At this stage of development, the optimum temperature for the growth of seedlings of the Atria variety is considered to be + 7˚ C. If this requirement is not observed and the seedlings are kept warm, it may die.
- As soon as several leaves appear on the seedlings of Atria (approximately 9-10 days later), one can proceed to the sprouting stage in separate pots. A universal option as separate containers is a peat pot.
- The dishes are filled with soil containing mineral fertilizers. In order not to damage the seedlings when transplanting, it is desirable to use a stick or a teaspoon.
- Atrii cabbage grows in separate containers for 19-24 days. Ten days after transplantation, they begin to harden the seedlings. For this purpose, containers are taken out for a short time. Every day increase the period of stay of seedlings on the street. Immediately before transplanting cabbage into open ground, it should be on the street all day.
The most suitable period for planting seedlings in the garden plot is May 10-20. There is no longer a threat of night frost, and the soil is warming to a suitable temperature.
Tip! It is better to plant the seedlings of the Atria variety in the greenhouse if you want to get an early harvest or in the case of growing cabbage in a cold region.
For steady growth and high-quality formation of the head of Atria, it is recommended to properly water the crop. Cabbage - moisture-loving plant. Therefore, some time after planting, the seedlings are watered every two to three days.
After 12-14 days, the frequency can be reduced to once a week.
The Atria variety at the heading stage especially needs regular watering. In order for the plant to grow normally, it is advisable to use warm water for irrigation, not lower than + 18˚ C.
An important procedure for the care of cabbage varieties Atria - the constant loosening of the soil to ensure aeration of the roots.
Tip! Loosening the land and simultaneous removal of weeds is best done before and after watering.
To obtain a full and good harvest, regular feeding of Atria cabbage is carried out. Recommended soil fertilizer schedule:
- 20 days after transplanting seedlings. Applied solution "Effecton";
- ten days after the first application of top dressing. Used fertilizer "Kemir";
- June - a mixture of mineral fertilizers (superphosphate and potassium sulfate) is used;
- August - (approximately three weeks before the harvest of Atria, a nitrophosphate solution is applied).
So that the nutrient mixture does not damage the root system of cabbage, fertilizers are applied to the wet ground (it is advisable to choose a cloudy day).
If it is correct to harvest the Atriya variety cabbage and provide suitable storage conditions, then the heads of cabbages are excellent for the whole winter and the beginning of spring. A distinctive feature of the Atriya variety is its richness during storage.
If you do not plan to dig up Atriya cabbage, then you will need a sharp knife to cut the vegetable. When harvesting, leave the fruit stem with a height of 3-5 cm. It is desirable to immediately tear off the lower leaves.Tip! Cut cabbages of Atriya variety should not be left on bare ground. Crop folded on a specially spread film.
To ensure good preservation, the vegetables are left for some time in the open air - in order to plant the upper green foliage.
If the Atriya cabbage is dug out, then the root system is immediately thoroughly cleaned from the ground. Yellowed lower leaves break off. The heads of cabbages are also left in the garden to dry the roots and the hilar leg. The best way to store vegetables in the basement is to hang a head of Atriya cabbage for the root.
So that various diseases do not develop in the soil, the site after harvesting is carefully cleaned. Roots and basal legs of heads are dug out, dangling lower leaves are collected.
Diseases and pests of cabbage
Fusarium - a fungal disease causes wilting cabbage. Signs of the disease - foliage turns yellow and fades. Heads of cabbage are formed small and deformed. Sick plants must be removed from the site. The remaining cabbage is pollinated by Benomyl fungicides, Tekto. As a preventive measure, it is recommended to thoroughly remove all plant residues from the soil. It is undesirable to plant cabbage on one site for several seasons in a row.
Turnip Mosaic is a virus. The affected vegetables are covered with light green spots. As a result of the disease, cabbage leaves fall. The virus is transmitted by harmful insects (aphids, mites). Fighting insecticide disease is useless. Therefore, the focus is on prevention: diseased plants are cleaned together with part of the soil, weeds are carefully removed, and the seeds of the Atria variety must be disinfected before planting.
The main crop pest is cabbage aphid. The insect eats cabbage juice and gradually depletes the vegetable. Aphid colonies settle on young cabbage in spring. For the destruction of pests use karbofos, Spark. As a preventive measure, it is possible to plant tobacco on the perimeter of cabbage planting or plant garlic - the aphid does not tolerate sharp odors.
Gardeners appreciate Atriya cabbage for its simplicity, high yield, good keeping quality, excellent taste.