Fences give the beds not only aesthetics. The sides prevent the spreading and washing out of the soil, and if the bottom of the garden bed is further strengthened with a steel mesh, the plantings will be 100% protected from moles and other pests. For self-production of fences use any available material. If desired, ready-made boxes can be bought in the store. Most often gardeners give preference to home-made fences. The most reliable are beds of bricks, especially if they are high. A solid construction is erected on the foundation, and low brick fences are simply laid out along the contour of the garden.
Variants of a brick bed design
Brick is a heavy building material, and it is impossible to build a portable fence from it. Although this statement is not entirely true. It all depends on the purpose of the beds and plants grown on it. Suppose you want in the yard to protect a flower bed with low-growing flowers or lawn grass. For such a bed it is enough just to dig up the bricks vertically. In order to achieve aesthetics, it is better to install each brick at an angle. The result is a nice jagged fence, resembling a saw.
You can make a good edging of a low bed by laying bricks flat in 2-3 rows. To do this, you will have to dig a shallow trench, pour a sand pillow and lay brick walls dry without solution.Attention! Building brick fences without cement mortar above three rows is undesirable. Pressure soil high beds ruin dry folded walls.
The dignity of the fences of beds made of dug or dry bricks lies in the mobility of the structure. Of course, a brick wall can not be transferred as a galvanized box, but you can disassemble if necessary. After serving one season, the bricks can easily be removed from the ground, and the next year the garden can be broken in another place.
A very different construction is a high bed of bricks. Folding it with your own hands will be more difficult, but doable. Such a fence is a full-fledged brick wall, folded on a concrete solution. Typically, the height of the sides is limited to 1 m, and such a structure cannot simply be laid out on the ground with a sand bedding. When the temperature changes in winter and spring, the soil tends to heave. For each locality, the degree of ground movement is different, but still this phenomenon of nature is inevitable. To prevent the brickwork from breaking, a high garden fence is made on a strip foundation.
It is possible to lay out walls of a high bed from any pieces of a brick, the main thing, it is good to fasten them with a solution. Typically, such capital structures are built in the yard to decorate the landscape. As an option, it is better to immediately use a decorative brick. If the walls are lined with pieces, they are reveted with a decorative stone.Attention! A brick bed on a strip foundation is a capital structure. In the future, changing the shape of the fence or moving it to another place will fail.
Construction of a brick bed on the foundation
Brick beds the easiest way to build a traditional rectangular shape. Before choosing a place, it is necessary to calculate everything, because the capital structure will stand in the yard for many years.
So, having decided on the shape and size of the beds, proceed to pouring the strip footing:
- At the site in the corners of the future fence pillars drive in. Between them stretch the construction cord defining the outline of the strip footing.
- The wall of the beds is laid in half-brick, therefore the width of the foundation is 200 mm. The depth of the concrete base in the soil is not less than 300 mm. The result should be a shallow tape foundation.
- On the contour designated by a cord dig a trench. Its dimensions will be greater than the size of the concrete strip. It is necessary to take into account the thickness of the sand bedding. On stable soils, the trench width can be left corresponding to the thickness of the tape. If the site is heaving, the trench is dug wider for arranging around the dumping tape.
- The bottom of the dug trench is leveled, after which a layer of sand 150 mm thick is poured. Sand pillow level, plentifully watered with water and perform tamping.
- The next stage consists of the installation of formwork. If the trench is dug wide, taking into account the dumping, the formwork is installed from the bottom. Board for the foundation without dumping set only on the edges of a narrow trench. The formwork height is done taking into account that the concrete tape will rise above the ground level of approximately 100 mm. In the second case, the formwork will play an earthen wall in a narrow trench.
- The bottom of the trench and side walls are covered with one layer of roofing material. Waterproofing will prevent cement milk from soaking into the ground during concrete pouring. At the bottom of the trench on top of the ruberoid lay out 2-3 bars of reinforcement. In the corners and on the connections it is bound by wire. To raise the reinforcing frame, under the rods enclose halves of bricks.
- The base is stronger monolithic, so it is concreted without interruption. For strength, crushed stone is added to the cement mortar.
The laying of a brick wall of a high bed begins after full hardening of the base. Usually about two weeks are allowed for this. Brick laying begins with forcing the corners, then gradually move away from them along the wall. If the brick wall finish is not provided until the mortar has stiffened, the jointing is done.Tip! To make the brick rows even, during the laying they stretch the construction cord.
At the end of the brickwork of the entire fence, the construction is given at least two weeks to solidify. During this time, you can make the filling of the foundation, if it was originally planned. For dumping use sand, small stones or any construction debris, well permeable to water. Any material selected is filled with voids between the walls of the trench and the concrete foundation.
When you build your own fencing beds on the foundation, brickwork can be reinforced. This is especially true on strongly heaving soils, where there is a probability of deformation even of a strip foundation. For the reinforcement of brickwork using wire thickness of 6 mm or steel mesh. They are embedded in cement mortar around the perimeter of the fence, while the thickness of the seam between the two rows of bricks increases.
Production of a brick bed without foundation and cement mortar with protection against the mole
Considering the process of arranging the fence of vertically dug bricks makes no sense because of the simplicity of the design. Now we will better consider the production of a brick bed without a foundation and mortar, at the bottom of which a protective net from a mole is laid.
So, having decided on the size and location of the beds, proceed to its construction:
- Knowing the size of the fence and the dimensions of the brick, calculate the consumption of building material. The turf is removed by a shovel along the contour of the future bed, otherwise germinating grass will clog the cultivated plantations.
- With the help of stakes and construction cord perform the marking of the dimensions of a brick bed. At this stage, the site is well laid out, especially in the place of laying bricks.
- When the contours of the beds are marked, adhering to the cord, lay out the first row of brick fencing. Ideal even laying should not be followed. Anyway, after the rain, it will squeeze in places, but at least approximately exactly the brick must be set.
When the entire first row is laid out, once again check the evenness of the fence along the diagonals, look, if there are no protruding bricks and other defects. After that, the bricks are cleaned to the side, and a mole guard is laid at the bottom of the bed. First, a galvanized wire mesh is rolled over the ground. From above it is covered with geotextile or black agrofibre. All the edges of the mesh and material should go under the brickwork. At the end of the arrangement of the bottom of the bed, the bricks of the first row are laid out in their place, pressing down the grid with a covering material.
- If it is necessary to make a bole high fence, one or two more rows of bricks are laid. When using hollow blocks, cells are pushed with primer.
A classic brick rectangular bed is ready; you can fill in fertile soil inside. If desired, a similarly shaped bed can be made using the same method as in this photo. You will notice that in both cases the walls are lined dry without mortar and the construction of the foundation.
The video shows brick walls laid out from bricks:
We considered the construction of only classic rectangular beds of brick. Showing imagination, from this material can be built quite interesting buildings.