Seeds of cucumbers before planting soaked. This procedure helps to germinate the crop faster and to identify the unsuitable grains in the initial stage. If quality seeds at air temperature from +24 to + 27aboutSince without soaking, good shoots can still be guaranteed, then material stored in the wrong conditions without such preparation cannot be sown. These seeds could often be subject to high temperatures, which caused them to become dehydrated.Attention! For some cucumber seeds, soaking can be detrimental. In pre-heated and pickled grains, the water will wash away the protective coating.
We begin work with sorting seeds
High-quality grains of cucumbers should be dense and large. This will help grow strong seedlings. Dummies, in general, will not give any shoots. Calibration will help identify unsuitable grains.
There is nothing difficult here, you just have to pour water into any container and throw seeds there. After a couple of minutes, the soothers will float to the surface.
They are drained together with water, and the good grains lying on the bottom of the tank are prepared for drying.
Before sowing, if the grains are fresh, they must be heated. And according to the rules, this procedure is best done in advance. Warming up of seeds is carried out on a tray or in fabric bags at a temperature of +40aboutC for 7 days. At a lower temperature of about + 25aboutWith warm-up time increases to a month. Optimally, this procedure is performed on a home heating radiator.Important! From warming the seeds die many viral infections of cucumbers. This will help grow healthy seedlings that form little barren flowers, which will soon bear early fruit.
Seed Disinfection Methods
Before the seeds begin to soak, the cucumber seeds must be sanitized. Dry disinfection involves the use of special powders, for example, NIUIF-2 or Granozan. Cucumber seeds are placed inside a glass jar with the preparation, and disinfection is performed using a five-minute shaking method.
It is best to use a wet disinfection method before sowing seeds for seedlings. It is more popular among gardeners and involves soaking the seeds of cucumber in a 1% solution of manganese.
Soaking seeds for disinfection with potassium permanganate before planting in the ground is as follows:
- Several manganese crystals are gradually added to boiled warm water until a bright pink liquid is obtained. You can not overdo it. Dark solution is harmful for seeds.
- From a piece of gauze or thin cotton fabric, small bags are made into which cucumber seeds are poured. It now remains to tie each bag and lower it into the solution for 15 minutes.
After the time, the seeds of cucumbers extracted from the bags are washed with clean boiled water.
Instead of potassium permanganate, cucumber seeds can be disinfected with hydrogen peroxide.
The whole process takes place in the same way, only 10% hydrogen peroxide solution is used as a disinfectant liquid. The grains are dipped for 20 minutes and then, after washing with clean water, disassemble them for drying.
Important! Before you start soaking the seeds, they must be placed in another solution - a growth stimulator. Having received additional nutrition, the grains will grow better, giving a strong and healthy seedlings.
Soak the seeds before planting:
- Grains placed under gauze or thin fabric are laid out on the surface of the plate. All this is moistened with warm water. Important! The fabric must be moistened by half, otherwise the oxygen supply to the sprouts will stop due to an overabundance of water, which will cause their death. However, complete evaporation of water should not be allowed. From drought, the result will be similar.
- A plate with grains set near the source of heat, where they will germinate. It usually lasts about three days.
- As soon as the first roots were covered, the plate is immediately put in the fridge for 12 hours for hardening.
During this time, while the grains will adapt to the cold, they prepare containers with soil, where the sowing of seedlings will directly take place.Tip! For soaking the seeds of cucumbers before planting on the seedlings it is better to use rainwater. Melt water from snow or even ice taken from a refrigerator is well suited.
The video shows seed soaking:
Biologically active preparations for soaking
As an aid to the gardener, the stores offer various preparations for soaking the grains before planting on the seedlings. Let's take a look at some of them:
- The drug "Epin" was developed on the basis of herbal ingredients. Grains in the embryos treated by him accumulate protection for the future of the plant from natural negative phenomena, such as frosts or cold nonsolar weather.
- The drug Zircon, which has long gained popularity, is made on the basis of the acid-containing juice of the echinacea plant. The drug accelerates the growth of seedlings, which is important before early disembarkation, and also helps the development of the root system.
- The drug "Humate" contains a nutrient based on potassium or sodium salt. The solution-treated seeds germinate faster.
Those who are not used to using store preparations, use traditional recipes for soaking cucumber seeds.
Several popular recipes for soaking cucumber seeds
Folk recipes are handed down from generation to generation and are still relevant in many villages. Consider some of them, the most effective, according to gardeners:
- Sap home flower aloe most often used for soaking cucumber seeds. This is due to the property of juice to confer germs with immunity to various diseases, which makes the seedlings strong. In addition, the growth of the cucumber itself is improving. To get the juice from the flower, cut off the lower old leaves, wrap them in paper and take them out in the cold. Alternatively, you can put in the refrigerator. After 14 days, the juice from the leaves perfectly squeezed hands. It is bred in half with water, where the grains of cucumber are dipped in gauze bags for a day.
- Water with wood ash saturates the grain with minerals. You can, of course, use the ash from the straw. Any of them in the amount of 2 tbsp. l Pour 1 liter of boiled water. After the solution has survived for two days, the cucumber seeds are immersed for 6 hours.
- For dressing with microelements of seed material use a decoction of edible mushrooms. In an arbitrary number of dried mushrooms pour boiling water, tightly covered with a lid and leave to infuse until completely cool. In a strained warm solution, the cucumber seeds are soaked for 6 hours.
- Water with honey serve as a stimulator of seedling growth. The solution is prepared from 250 ml of warm boiled water with the addition of 1 tsp. honey The liquid is poured into a saucer, where the seeds are soaked for 6 hours.
- Pure potato juice is also good for soaking. To get it, raw potatoes are frozen in the freezer, and then placed in a warm place until they are completely thawed. Juice easily wring out the hands. In this, cucumber seeds are soaked for 8 hours.
- For a more complex solution, you will need to take 1 g of manganese, 5 g of soda and 0.2 g of boric acid. But first you need to brew two handfuls of onion peels in 1 liter of boiling water. After cooling down, the same amount of ash solution is added to the resulting liquid. The method of its preparation was discussed above. Now it remains to add the rest of the ingredients and you can soak the grain for 6 hours.
Before using any of the folk remedies, it is better to immerse the seeds of cucumber for 2 hours in clean water, and after processing, they should be washed again. The finished grain laid out on a plate. After the acquisition of flowability, seeds are considered ready for planting.