Cucumbers are grown on almost every household and summer cottage. Vegetable gardeners who have been cultivating for more than one year are well aware that vegetables need fertile soil and timely feeding. The root system of cucumber is designed in such a way that it is able to receive food from the surface of the soil. The fact is that the fibrous root grows not deep down, but wide.
Nutrition cucumber during the growing season should be balanced. The plant needs many trace elements, but potash fertilizers for cucumbers are the most important. Potassium ions are present in the cell sap of vegetables. Their lack affects the yield of the crop and the quality of the fruit. About as in the photo, looks like a cucumber lash, if the plant does not receive the required amount of potassium.
Important for the cucumber trace elements
Cucumbers, unlike many cultivated plants, are extremely demanding on nutrition. To get a rich harvest on the beds in a greenhouse or in the open field, you need to take care of the balance of trace elements. They must be kept in the soil during planting and additionally feed the plants during the vegetative period.
What microelements are needed for cucumbers:
- Nitrogen is involved in building green mass, the need for it is great at the beginning of growth.
- The need for phosphorus is not so great, but in the absence of it, cucumbers "freeze", the growth of the plants and fruits slows down.
- Potassium for cucumbers is needed more than other trace elements. After all, he is responsible for the movement of juices, for growth and fruiting.
In addition, plants need zinc, manganese, boron and other trace elements that plants should receive with balanced dressings.Comment! Chlorine fertilizer for cucumbers to make undesirable.
Mineral or organic fertilizers are applied at different times with strict observance of dosages.
Symptoms of micronutrient deficiencies
Potassium is one of the most important trace elements that cucumbers grown in greenhouses or open ground need. Experienced gardeners determine the lack of potassium as a plant. Beginners do not always succeed due to lack of knowledge. Therefore, we dwell on this issue in more detail.
- A large number of lashes, leaves appear on the liana, and the ovary is practically absent.
- The leaves become unnaturally green, the edges become yellowish-gray, the edge dries out. This process extends to the middle of the sheet, it dies.
- Potassium deficiency affects not only the presence of barren flowers, but also a change in the shape of the fruit. They most often resemble a pear. In addition, there is no sugar in such cucumbers, so they taste bitter.
Important! Potassium fertilizer is especially necessary for plants in the period of setting cucumbers, in order to improve the taste of products.
What is potassium fertilizer
Potash fertilizer is a type of mineral supplements to improve the quality of crops grown in the garden. Application allows to improve the immunity of plants, which, in turn, has a positive effect on resistance to many diseases. The presence of potassium in the soil is a protective barrier against many insects. Moreover, cucumbers are less sick with fluctuations in temperature and humidity.
Types of potash fertilizers
There are two types of potassium-based fertilizers: chloride and sulphate. For feeding cucumbers is better to use fertilizer without chlorine. In addition, potash fertilizers are in the form of raw salts (carnallite, sylvinite, polygalet, cainite, nepheline) or concentrates (crystals, granules).
Varieties of potash fertilizer for feeding cucumbers:
- Potassium sulfate (potassium sulfate).
- Potassium salt.
- Potassium Nitrate
- Potassium carbonate.
- Ash wood.
From this list, potassium sulfate is used most often to feed cucumbers, which consists of half of the microelement. In addition, it does not contain chlorine. It is a crystalline powder of white or grayish color, it is completely dissolved in water. Make a cucumber, as the root top dressing can be in spring or autumn. In case of insufficient lighting in the greenhouse or under adverse weather conditions, this potash fertilizer can be used for foliar feeding to improve photosynthesis.
The emergence of Kalimagnezii in the market gardeners have estimated immediately. This potash fertilizer can be powdered or granular. It consists of:
- magnesium - 10-17%;
- potassium - 25-30%;
- sulfur - 17%.
Magnesium and potassium - sulfates, easily dissolved in water, well absorbed by cucumbers.
The use of such a drug as Kalimag, allows you to get products with excellent taste. This fertilizer can feed not only cucumbers, but also potatoes, beets, squash, pumpkins, fruit trees and shrubs.
How to apply a new series of potash fertilizer for feeding cucumbers? Kalimagneziya, as a rule, is used in the fall or spring when preparing the soil. In the fall, more nutrient potassium is needed - from 135 to 200 grams. In the spring enough 110 grams per square meter. After watering the soil carefully digs.
During the growing season, cucumbers can be fed under the root with Kalimag, especially during the emergence of embryos and flowering plants. For a nutrient solution on a ten-liter bucket 15-25 grams is enough.
Kalimagneziya can be used in dry form. Pour the powder under the plant and pour it with warm water. Per square up to 20 grams.Attention! The use of any fertilizers, including potash, is made strictly according to the instructions. Overdose is not allowed.
How to apply potash fertilizers
From a flower to obtain a full-fledged fruit passes several days. While in some internodes cucumbers ripen, in others there are ovaries. The process lasts continuously. It is clear that without dressings can not do. Especially important for stable fruiting potassium.
Feeding cucumbers with potash fertilizers should be carried out in a timely manner. The lack of trace elements reduces the yield of your beds. Experienced gardeners never feed all plantings at the same time. Check the need for cucumber potassium in 1-2 plants. If after three days they had improved growth, ovaries were formed, then you can do the feeding of cucumbers in the whole greenhouse.
Attention! Cucumbers love potassium in the right quantities. Lack and excess adversely affect the appearance of the plant and the formation of the crop.
The dosage of potash fertilizer for cucumbers depends on the degree of soil preparation in the autumn or spring. If for some reason the soil has not received the required amount of potassium, then during the growth of the plants, top dressing should become obligatory.
As a rule, cucumbers are fertilized with potash fertilizers 3-5 times at equal intervals. But in case of deficiency of potassium, it is necessary to feed the plants without following the schedule.
Fertilizer preparation rules
Each gardener, taking into account the condition of the soil, applies store fertilizers or prepares them independently. Consider the most common variants of potash fertilizers, which carry out the feeding of cucumbers in different periods of the growing season.
- When the first embryos appear in the internodes, the need for complex fertilizers increases. A ten-liter bucket will require a solution of mullein (chicken manure) - 200 grams, a teaspoonful of superphosphate and potassium sulfate. Watering is carried out at the root of the watering can.
- The second time will need fertilizer cucumbers, when mass fructification begins. Plants consume nutrients from the soil very quickly. If you do not feed them in time, the ovaries can dry out and crumble. For root feeding, mullein is used - 150 grams, nitrophoska - 1 large spoon per 10 liters of water. Instead of mullein, you can use herbal infusions of plants such as nettle, mokrita, snyt. Infusion is preparing a week. On every square. m poured 3 liters of solution. The use of such a solution will enrich the planting nutrients, including potassium.
- If you do not have complex fertilizers, you can independently prepare such a composition (recipe for watering 1 sq. M). 10 liters of water will require potassium sulfate and urea, 10 grams each, and potassium magnesia, 20 grams. You can add 30 grams of ash. Feed cucumbers with such fertilizer at the first signs of potassium deficiency.
- Potash fertilizer for feeding cucumbers can be prepared at home from a single wood ash. This substance is useful in that it contains not only potassium, but also many other trace elements necessary for growth and fruiting. At a ten-liter bucket in the preparation of an aqueous solution, add one and a half cups of ash. The resulting solution performs root and foliar feeding of cucumbers.
Allowed to use ash and in dry form. She poured on the wet soil over the entire surface of the beds. Then lightly watered cucumbers.
If cucumbers are grown in open ground, the need for fertilizer is higher due to the leaching of trace elements by rain.
About potassium and its role:
Need or not ...
The gardeners are always faced with the question of what fertilizers to use for feeding cucumbers. It should be noted that a high yield of green fruits can be obtained with an integrated approach. Vegetable growers with a lot of experience without our recommendations, select a feeding scheme. Beginners will have to adapt. We need to remember the main thing - plants always give a signal "sos" when something is missing. You need to learn to "hear" cucumbers and come on time to help.