In green onions there are a lot of microelements and vitamins useful for the human body, which are very necessary during the period of avitaminosis observed in spring. Regular use of onion feathers can significantly reduce the risk of viral infections. When compared with other crops, it is not difficult to grow onions, but in order to get a good harvest it is important to properly prepare the soil and feed the culture in a timely manner.
It is especially important to apply fertilizer for onions to the feather in the soil during the period of its active growth. Therefore, it is important to know when and what kind of fertilizer to apply. This will be discussed in the article. But first, consider the question of how to choose a variety of onions on the pen.
In order for you to grow in the garden not only large bulbs, but also abundant green mass, you should choose the right type of crop, and also fertilize it in time. So, the following varieties are suitable for growing green onions:
- Chives. This variety is distinguished by narrow feathers, extending approximately 50 cm in length. With proper care, from 10 m2 You can collect up to 30 kg of feathers. Chives have a pleasant aroma, feathers remain tender for a long time.
- Shallot. This is an unpretentious variety, which gives a bountiful harvest from 10 m.2 You can usually collect up to 40 kg of feathers.
- Tiered bow. Resistant to frost grade, high quality greenery, does not require maintenance and easily going through the winter. Gives a lot of greenery.
- Bat onions. Planting material is very cheap. Does not form bulbs. In its composition is much more nutrients, in comparison with other varieties of culture. With proper care, you can collect approximately 35 kg of greenery from 10 m2. Culture of many years.
- Leek. It has a feather that looks like garlic greens. Does not form a bulb, but has a thick white part. It is worth noting that it is white stalk that is commonly used in cooking. With this crop planted on 10 m2You can get up to 20 kg of pen.
- Onion slizun. It has feathers, like garlic. Their structure is soft, with a slight garlic aroma. In its composition a large number of nutrients. Onion slizun has a pleasant taste. In the greenhouse, this variety can be grown year-round, and in the open field - until frost. Matures quickly and has a bountiful harvest.
- Bow parade. It has the highest yield - 10 m.2 You can collect up to 65 kg of green.
Features of cultivation in the open ground
The varieties proposed in the article are planted in late autumn or early spring. It is important to select only the planting material, which has several buds and its size in diameter - 3-4 cm.
Before planting onions, planting material is soaked in warm water and remains in it for the next 24 hours. To accelerate germination, the tip of the bulbs should be cut. This, among other things, improves productivity.
There are 2 ways of planting onions in open ground:
- Prepared planting material is placed in the grooves at a distance of about 4 cm from each other, and after, the beds are leveled with a rake. At the same time between the grooves should be a distance of about 20 cm.
- Onions are placed close to each other, and on top they are covered with earth for 3 cm. In this case, for 1 m2 It takes about 10 kg of planting material.
In the spring, this covering material is removed, and the onions are covered with a protective film.
Another option: sow onion seeds. This can be done closer to mid-summer, pre-fertilized and loosening the soil. Before sowing the seeds should be soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate. So, they will be decontaminated and less susceptible to disease. After emergence of shoots, the onions need to be thinned out, leaving a distance of about 5 cm between it.
By winter, beds with onions, the greens of which at this moment reaches up to 25 cm, should be sprinkled with peat or covered with straw. So, after the spring thaw, you can pamper your family with green vitamins. To be able to use the green mass of onions in the summer, sowing of seeds should be done in early spring.
Features of greenhouse cultivation
The best option for growing onions is by a closed method, that is, in a greenhouse. In this case, the harvest can be collected all year round. Greenhouse onions are best grown from mid-autumn to spring, and planting in a greenhouse - from mid-winter to late May.
The easiest way to feed onions with a feather is to prepare the soil properly. To do this, it is best to choose boxes for cultivation, in which the nutrient soil will be poured. It should consist of equal parts of fertile soil, peat and compost or humus.
Before planting, planting material is also soaked in warm water during the day. After, it can be landed close to each other, and then covered with a thin layer of soil. Until the shoots appear, boxes of onions can be set one on another, which will allow you to free up space on other cultivated plants. After 15 days, place the packaging around the perimeter of the greenhouse or greenhouse. It is important to maintain the air temperature in the room. It should not fall below 18ºС.
Watering onions on the feather in the greenhouse during the period of growth is about 5 times. Between this it is important to make mineral fertilizers. When the green reaches a height of about 40 cm, then it must be cut.
Subject to the agrotechnical rules, the onion harvest will correspond to the cultivar. If you have the opportunity to heat the greenhouse, the onion planting can begin in October. To maximize the harvest of onions in the greenhouse in the greenhouse, plant planting material with a multi-ring structure.Important! To speed up the emergence of shoots, soak the bulbs before planting in water, after adding a few drops of growth stimulator.
You can use Baikal, Appin and others.
When growing onions for greens, placing the bulbs when planting close to each other, the underground part of the plant will dry out, which allows its above-ground part to grow magnificently. In addition, so, you get greens with the maximum amount of vitamins and minerals. So that the soil is not soured, and the underground part of the onion does not start to rot, it is necessary to water the plant rarely, but plentifully.
The yield of the onion depends entirely on the conditions that are created for it. And if all the activities for the care of the crop are really done correctly, then the only problem you will encounter in the fall will be the safety of the harvest. There are several options for feeding. It all depends on what kind of fertilizer you have. To make the soil more fertile, add superphosphates before planting.
Tip! The best kind of feeding is organic. In this case, you will have an environmentally safe and 100% healthy crop of green onions.
However, organic fertilizers can not be applied to the soil in its pure form. In order for the onions to grow better, there must be enough nitrogen in the soil. If fresh manure is brought into the ground, it will decompose for too long and the onion will not get the fertilizing it needs.
Too much nitrogen can cause the onion to simply rot, so fertilizer application should be moderate. Therefore, for feeding onions use manure diluted in water in a ratio of 1: 3. If you decide to feed onions with bird droppings, then you need to breed much more, a ratio of 1:15. This is due to the fact that bird droppings are more saturated with nitrogen than other organics.
In the absence of organic matter, mineral fertilizers can be applied to the soil. Saltpeter, potassium salt and superphosphate can be used as a top dressing.
So, you will need 1 tbsp. l nitre, 1 tbsp. l potassium salt and 2 tbsp. l superphosphate. All this is bred in a bucket of water.
When to feed a bow
As mentioned above, the soil for onions can be fertilized before planting or during the period of active growth. For example, after the first thinning of rows of onions. During this period, the culture especially needs to be saturated with phosphate and nitrogen.
The next feeding is done in a few weeks. This time it is better to add organic matter to the soil. Alternatively, it is also possible to mineralize the soil, but it is important to use preparations that do not contain nitrogen.Attention! The most important is the first feeding, because it affects the growth of feathers.
After the emergence of shoots, you need to wait for the feathers to grow by about 12-15 cm in height. Then you can thin the onions, while removing the weak and unhealthy sprouts. Winter onions need to be fertilized during this period. You can use organic matter, mineralization, or any combination of fertilizers.
So, you can make organic. We have already mentioned some recipes for the manufacture of fertilizers from organic matter, but below we will consider a few more ways:
- Fertilizer from horse manure. So, for 10 liters of water you will need 500 g of manure. This composition must be brewed for a week. For onion fertilizer you will need to dilute the fertilizer: 1 liter of slurry is used for 5 liters of water. Watering is carried out in the aisle.
- Feeding with mullein. So, for the preparation of a useful composition for onions, you need to insist 500 g of mullein in 5 liters of water. After dilution of the solution, it should be allowed to infuse for a week. The proportion in which mullein is divorced is 1: 5. Just as in the first case, watering is carried out in the aisle.
Use of minerals
Infusions of mineral fertilizers do not need. They are sold as powders or liquids that are diluted with water just before watering. It is worth noting that the mineralization of the soil is carried out in 3 stages:
- After the emergence of seedlings.
- After 2 weeks after the first feeding.
- After 20 days. But the third dressing is carried out on barren soil, and only.
Experienced gardeners use 2 basic schemes of mineral fertilizers in the soil.
The first version of feeding in 3 stages:
- 2 tbsp. l "Vegeta" divorced in 5 liters of water;
- 1 tsp. the drug Agricola - 2 is diluted with 5 liters of liquid;
- 2 tbsp. l "Effecta - O" and 1 tbsp. l superphosphate on 5 l of rain / settled water.
The second version of feeding onions on a feather in 3 stages (all components from the list are diluted with 5 liters of water):
- 1.5 Art. l ammonia;
- 1 tbsp. l salts and the same amount of ammonium nitrate;
- 2 tbsp. l superphosphate.
Many specialists use combined fertilizers, and even on an industrial scale. So, the scheme of fertilization in 3 stages looks like this:
- 0.5 cups of manure infusion + 1 tbsp. l urea + 5 liters of water;
- 1 tbsp. l nitrophos + 5 liters of water;
- 5 g of potassium salt + 10 g of superphosphate + 5 l of water.
It is worth noting that for better yields, before planting or sowing onions, it would be good to sanitize the soil. For this purpose, copper sulphate is excellent, which is diluted with water in proportion - 1 tbsp. l 10 liters of water. Before fertilizing the beds for onions for the day you need to perform disinfection. Watering is carried out with a flow rate of 2 l / m2.
If you decide to grow onions for sale and you need the maximum amount of the crop in the minimum area, then you need to prepare the soil in advance, as well as timely apply fertilizer according to one of the schemes proposed in this article. If you follow all the recommendations, you can expect a bountiful harvest for either your family or for sale.
We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the related topic video: