Sow seeds in open ground or first plant the seedlings? What are the dates of sowing seeds in open and closed ground? These and other questions are most often asked by novice gardeners on the Internet and their experienced cottage neighbors. These questions are not really so difficult, we will try to answer them in detail.
When is it better to sow cucumbers
To get a crop of cucumbers, as, indeed, any other culture, you need to make a huge amount of effort. But then how nice it is to collect green cucumbers from your own garden bed and be confident in their quality. A rich harvest will allow you to pickle a portion of the crop or pickle it.
Cucumber is especially loved by the Russians. It is believed that this is the number one vegetable on our table. We eat it in its immature form. In addition to the pleasant taste, cucumber is watery, is not deposited in the fats in our body and is quite useful. Many dream to grow their own crop of cucumbers, but not everyone knows how to do it. The timing of sowing seeds in the ground excites most beginners.
According to the region of residence
Since the territory of Russia is huge, it is impossible to talk about some average time for planting seeds in open ground. There are certain conditions under which this can be done. On the vast territory of the country it is impossible to plant cucumber seeds in open ground and get seedlings, which is justified by the climate conditions.
Cucumbers - a culture brought to Russia from the tropics. They like:
- watering with warm water;
- fertile loose soil;
- wet air.
In Russia, such conditions in natural form can be obtained only when growing cucumbers in the south, and in the coastal areas. There you can not suffer, creating a film cover, all the conditions for cucumbers favorable. Geographically, it is:
- Krasnodar region;
- part of the Rostov region.
Cucumber seedlings are successfully grown when they are planted in open ground in the Astrakhan Region, Voronezh, Belgorod, Volgograd, in the Urals and the Far East. Of course, this requires certain conditions to be met. In general, the term of sowing cucumbers late. This culture does not stand frost and does not tolerate temperature drops. The term of sowing cucumbers throughout Russia is as follows:
- for the south it is the first of May;
- for the middle band, it is advisable to plant seeds in open ground only at the end of May;
- in the Urals and in some northern regions, the dates are postponed to the beginning of June.
How to be those who are deprived of the joy of planting seeds of cucumbers in the open ground? There are many gardeners in our country. For them, there is a way out:
- grow seedlings at home, and then, as warmer, transplant it in a film greenhouse;
- those who live in the northern regions will have to plant the seedlings in a heated greenhouse.
True, both of these methods are difficult to grow seedlings (watering and observing the conditions of high humidity).
In Russia, cucumber is known from the 16th century. Since then, it has received its distribution everywhere, his love. During this time, people have collected signs, allowing to obtain high-quality seedlings with their observance.
We have collected all the important days of the national calendar associated with cucumber seedlings in a single table.
The first day of planting seed in open ground or on seedlings (Iov, Long-suffering)
It was customary to sow only if on this day (the martyr Isidore) it was not cold and rainy. In clear weather, a good harvest was expected.
These days continued to plant seedlings and cucumber seeds, since the period was limited.
The last day of planting on the seedlings, later sowing could leave the gardener without a crop, which by August did not have time to keep up.
The end of the pore cucumber (Evdokia cucumber), on this day, gathered the last harvest.
Of course, today our breeders successfully bred hybrids, and in order to obtain seedlings, it is enough to follow some rules of cultivation in the open field. Hybrids are resistant to small differences in temperature, disease and viruses, which will have a positive effect on seedlings. All this information is contained on the packaging. Some craftsmen today receive a harvest, even in early September, when the nights are already cold enough.
One can not say a few words about the lunar calendar. They are summer residents use very often.
The dependence of plant growth on the phases of the satellite of our planet has long been known. This theory is not subject to great doubt, and a new calendar with favorable dates for growing seeds for seedlings is released every year.
The basic rules that apply to the lunar sowing calendar are that it is forbidden to plant seedlings:
- in the days of solar and lunar eclipses;
- at a new moon and a full moon;
- when the moon passes from one constellation to another;
- while finding our natural satellite in the sign of Aquarius and Leo.
As we know, the Moon does have some influence on the gravitational effects occurring on Earth. An example of this is the ebb and flow.
After reviewing the timing of planting cucumbers in open ground, let's deal with the rules of sowing.
Planting cucumbers in open ground
Open ground implies natural growing conditions:
- outside greenhouses;
- outside the film shelters.
Planting is carried out with seeds under certain conditions. Since cucumbers are quite capricious, these conditions must be observed carefully.
Conditions for cultivation in the ground
To grow good seedlings and get a rich harvest, you need to spend a lot of effort and energy. But so that your works are not in vain, you should strictly follow all the instructions described below. So, cucumbers love:
- air humidity;
- nobility of soil or soil.
Speaking of heat, it is worth noting that the seedlings even need to be watered only with warm water. Cucumber grows well in open ground near large water bodies. It is not necessary to plant a plant in the shade; on the contrary, the more sunlight the seedlings receive, the better.
It is equally important to use seeds of good quality. It may be seed purchased or self-selected. Careful selection is required in both cases.
- If you buy seeds in a store, give preference to well-known producers. Their sowing material is hardened, treated for most diseases, they guarantee that the seedlings will be resistant. Moreover, today the breeders have developed a huge variety of cucumber hybrids, which fruit abundantly and for a long time, the seedlings are not susceptible to viruses and fungi, giving an early harvest. The choice is huge. Gardeners know that there will be less problems with purchased material.
- If you select seeds yourself, remember that the most well cucumbers will bear fruit if the seeds were kept for 3-4 years in a cool place. Selected cucumber seeds are in a special shell, which in natural conditions prevents rotting in the soil. Seeds before planting are selected, processed and hardened. Then you can wait for good seedlings of them.
The preparatory process consists of three stages:
- final selection;
Today there are a lot of hybrids, the cost of them exceeds the price of varietal species. This is due to the complexity of their production: the crossing process takes place manually in a closed protected ground.
Let us return to the question of preparation before sowing. Let us examine each of the stages separately.
- Seeds are removed and laid out on the table. Water is poured into a glass at room temperature and a spoonful of salt is dissolved in it. Now seeds are brought into the glass and wait a few minutes. The good ones will sink to the bottom, and the pacifiers will float. All surfaced can be thrown away.
- Now go to the processing. It is carried out in different ways, using all sorts of purchased solutions. To get disease resistant seedlings, this process is necessary. The easiest way is to keep the seed of cucumbers in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
- After this, you need to go to the hardening. For this, the seeds are placed in a refrigerator for up to 36 hours. Seedlings will be resistant to temperature extremes.
When the preparation work is done, you can proceed to the sowing.
Usually, sowing starts in May and ends in early June. This is the optimal time. When the nights are warm, healthy seedlings can be obtained already after a couple of weeks. Shoots should be friendly.
Pre-germination. It is necessary so that any mistakes of the gardener will not lead to the rotting of the seed in open ground. To do this, it is placed in a damp cloth (a napkin or just a little covered with water, but not completely) and waiting for sprouts.
Open ground is an environment in which the balance of heat and water for cucumbers and the health of seedlings is very important. If the temperature drops, which is typical for most regions, a bog bred in cucumber beds will have a detrimental effect. Plants may die.
Sowing in the ground is as follows:
- cucumber seeds are placed in open ground at a depth of 2-3 centimeters;
- no diving of seedlings is carried out, transplantation is also destructive for cucumbers;
- you can plant five cucumber bushes per square meter, but not more than seven, otherwise they will be cramped.
The video shows a simple way of sowing cucumbers in open ground.
If you have the experience of sowing cucumbers in open ground, you can do this without germination. It is important to feel good that is necessary for the health of the seedlings.
The term of sowing is not chosen in advance, but based on the prevailing conditions. This is convenient to do with hybrids, as they bear fruit for a long time even under bad weather conditions. Seedlings of them are particularly resistant compared to varietal cucumbers.
Among the main mistakes of gardeners are incorrect selection, planting cucumbers in the shade, ignoring the time of sowing.
Cucumbers are very demanding on the fertility of the soil, therefore it is just the right way for them to be suckled under the root-dressing, to bring in organics during flowering and fruiting. Mineral fertilizers are applied in advance in the required proportion in the soil. All this will have a positive impact on future seedlings.
Another tip before sowing in open ground: follow the instructions on the package, where the time is also indicated. This will allow to obtain persistent cucumber seedlings and a rich harvest.